Friday, December 20, 2013

Review on Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling)

I'm not a reader of detective or mystery stories, but let me tell you, this was awesome!  I loved Casual Vacancy, so I knew I wanted to read this book eventually.  Rowling did not disappoint.  I enjoyed the 3rd person omniscient point of view, and of course, the motley cast of characters she assembled. Strike was a guy you could root for, and you knew from the beginning he would, however unlikely, find the solution no matter what.  His one indiscretion (if you can call it that) shocked me at first, until I remembered he had just learned his former fiancee (together off and on for about 15 years) had gotten engaged to someone else just 3 weeks after they broke up.  I loved that Strike wasn't afraid even after he was fairly certain who the killer was.  It drove me a bit crazy not figuring things out, but like I said, I'm a new-comer to the genre.  I took pages of notes after I was done reading just to make sure I had it all straight!  Everything was so complicated, beautifully so.  If you enjoyed Casual Vacancy, you'll love this book too.

No comments:

Post a Comment