Haven't done this in awhile, but this book definitely deserves to be written and raved about!
It's the most perfect end to a trilogy that I've come across in a long while. And I really can't type more without spoilers, so here goes. The book ended the best possible way it could. Was bringing back Mal a long shot? Of course, but no one knew what to expect. At first, it was like his sacrifice wasn't even going to work. I was heartbroken for Alina at that moment. I'm glad it was Alina who killed the Darkling, and without her power -- such a poetic ending to that whole situation. He was convinced until the last that he would have her and win her eventually. The whole concept of Mal being descended from Morozova's "regular" daughter is awesome, but poor Baghra....Poor Nikolai, too, though of course it does work out for him. I don't think he was ever in love with Alina, definitely not as much as Mal. I thought for sure she wouldn't end up with Mal because that's what I wanted from the beginning. I always knew there was something special about him, and that moment with the firebird totally made sense. I loved that they were both left to lead normal lives at the end, raising orphans at Keramzin. When the whole adventure started in the first book, they came to realize that's all they had ever wanted and thought they'd never have. (And Misha stayed with them, awww.) I am curious as to who Nikolai ended up with, but it was enough to know that he visits them and sends the children presents at Christmas.
I devoured over half this book in one sitting, with many tears toward the end. So many had to die, but their deaths weren't in vain. No more Darkling or Unsea, and Nikolai on the throne. Equal rights and choice for Grisha....just beautiful.
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I devoured the whole book in a day too - I totally enjoyed everyone so I could just continue reading!
ReplyDeleteNew follower :)
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
I really liked this one too. I know that some readers who were shipping another couple were disappointed, but I thought it was a perfect ending!
ReplyDeleteJen @ YA Romantics
Because of timing, I normally stay away from trilogies or books in a series, but sounds like you really enjoyed this one! Hugs, RO
ReplyDelete