Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review on Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

This book was absolutely captivating. Lauren Oliver is a beautiful writer able to capture detail and emotion so precisely. The main character, Sam, manages to redeem herself in the only catastrophic way possible by the end of the book.  It's both beautiful and tragic.

It starts with Sam and her 3 popular friends tormenting and harassing everyone on "Cupid Day" senior year. At a party, Lindsay drives them home drunk, but instead of dying outright, Sam wakes up to relive the day. This happens 7 times...7 February 12ths.  She dies the same way the 2nd time, sleeps at Ally's house and learns of a suicide the 3rd, goes completely crazy the 4th, spends time with her little sister and tries and fails to save Juliet, and wakes before/during a kiss with Kent the 5th, gets closer to redemption on the 6th and has a real kiss, and finally gets it right the last time. She somehow knew it would be her last try.

I raced to get to the end of this book.  I wanted to know if she really was dead, though I knew. There are some great life lessons in this book about enjoying your life and all the precious moments, putting yourself in others' shoes, and accepting yourself, flaws and all.  I highly recommend it, and I can't wait to read more of Oliver's books!

No comments:

Post a Comment